Saturday, October 10, 2009

Teaching Moment

So, I thought I had a "teaching moment" with Hudson and Audrey today.  I connected with a woman with three young children.  Her husband was laid off and she had to stay at home with her youngest, a premie that weighs 5 lbs.  She was a terribly kind woman and I felt moved by her struggle.  I informed the kids that we were headed to Costco to pick up some things for their family.  I explained why her family was struggling and since we had the good fortune to have a little extra and our health that we should give to others.  I saw Hudson mulling it over.  He said, "I think I should have brought my wallet."  I was getting excited thinking that he finally understood giving for the sake of giving.  Hudson then said, "I could buy that family something.  Then YOU could buy me something."  "Um, no.  That isn't how it works" I said.  My teaching methods are not working because this "teaching moment" zipped right over my kids' heads.    

I couldn't post something without pictures of at least 1 kid.  Can you guess what Hudson wants to be for Halloween?

No comments: